Music plays a huge role in my life. I’ve been singing as long as I can remember, and I learned to play several musical instruments growing up. The first CD I ever bought was “…Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears when I was nine years old. I played that CD on my small battery-powered boombox more times than I can remember!
But the most important thing about that CD is that when my parents were fighting, I could go into my room, plug my headphones into my dinky boombox, and escape from the stress.
Mid Morning Music is a peer check-in support group with an added musical element. Each week has a different theme, and participants bring a song title and artist to share with the group based on that theme. Some themes we have used include:
- A song that makes you happy, sad, angry, etc
- A song that reminds you of being a kid
- A song that makes you wanna dance
- A song that tells us who you are
- A song that means something to you
- A song that you know all of the words to
Are you new to Mid Morning Music? No problem! Here’s how the group works:
- As you join the meeting, send either a YouTube link to your song, or the title and artist of your song in the chat to the facilitator. The group will go in order of songs submitted to the facilitator.
- When it is your turn to share, you will have up to a minute to introduce the song. After the facilitator plays the song on YouTube via Zoom’s screen share, you will have up to three minutes to discuss why you chose that song. Please mute yourself during songs! You are welcome to turn off your camera at any time.
- If there is time after everyone has had their turn to check in and talk about their song choice, the facilitator will open the floor to talk about any themes or common threads.
- Questions? Just ask the facilitator! Robin’s Hope facilitators are always ready to help you feel comfortable and safe in our peer-run spaces.
- Check-ins are not a place where we fix problems. They are a safe space to sit with and explore struggles or successes. It is okay to ask for feedback or to express that feedback is not desired at any time.
Mid Morning Music meets weekly on Wednesday mornings from 10am to 1130am EST. We look forward to sharing music with you!
[Link: Robin’s Hope Mid Morning Music YouTube Playlist]